01 December, 2009

Language Shift Gets Personal

As I write my final Independent Study Project report (which is not nearly as fun as gathering the data was, let me tell you), I occasionally have access to outside sources to back up the things I make up out of my head (not easy with limited Internet and no ability to check out any books). After reading a little more about language shift, I've realized that it doesn't just apply to indigenous languages being pressured by dominant languages. It actually also applies to immigrant families who move into an area with a dominant language, and the language shift which occurs with their children, grandchildren, etc.

In fact, it actually applies to me. And maybe even most Americans within surprisingly recent generations.

I was always a little bit sad when Grandma told me how she tried to learn Italian as a young girl from her uncle, who died before she could finish learning the language (Dad and Grandma, feel free to add more details - my memory is not so good). Her parents came from Italy and Ireland, making her half Italian and me (at least) 1/8th. It's entirely possible that if she had learned it, and taught it to my dad, he could have passed it on to me as well, and then I would know Italian, hurrah! Didn't happen, though, and the closest we got was my grandmother being able to understand "English with a really heavy Italian accent" (or so she jokes - I believe I've actually seen her translate letters written to her in Italian by relatives or other genealogical researchers in her quest to uncover the deepest roots of our family tree).

It's hard to say what all of the factors affecting a family's decision not to pass on the language to their children are, but for many immigrant families coming to a "land of opportunity" there are several major reasons. One, to get a good job in the US of A you usually have to speak English. Two, there is a widespread (and incorrect) belief that speaking another language limits a child's ability to learn English (which, as mentioned above, is number one priority). Three, there often is a lot of pressure put on immigrant families by their new neighbors not to speak their first language - this can be due to some sort of stigma attached to the language, or just unhealthy fears/paranoia that people often have when they can't understand what's being spoken around them. In this case, a  foreign language is somehow seen as threatening. Four, there may simply not be enough other people to talk to in the language. It's one thing for a child's parents to be able to speak to her/him in the language, but who is the kid going to talk to at school? The other children probably don't understand the language and are fairly likely to laugh and make fun of what they don't understand. Then, not only does the child not have anyone to speak to (other than Mom and Dad, but we all know kids go through phases of not really wanting to talk to them), but she/he also just got made fun of for trying to speak to her/his peers. Lack of domain plus negative stigma. Is there any hope?

Well, yes.

In Los Angeles, for example, Korean is actually making a pretty good effort, in my opinion, at fighting all of the above. There is a large enough population of Korean-Americans that the domain for language use exists (physically embodied in the form of Korea Town) and it is perfectly possible for a Korean immigrant to live her/his entire life without needing to learn English. However, the children of these families are still facing all the above pressures, and many grow up understanding Korean but not fluently speaking it. At some point, many of them (possibly at the insistence of their parents or grandparents) decide that they want to get more familiar with the language of their heritage and either take a class in it at school (that was the story of almost all of my classmates when I took Korean I and Korean II at USC) or at the Korean Cultural Center, Los Angeles (KCCLA).

Personally, I think the KCCLA is amazing. I took part of the 8-week Korean language class they offer there this summer (it was cut short by me moving back to Walla Walla), which symbolizes to me the great community effort to share their culture, not just with Korean-Americans, but with anybody who's interested in it. When I took the class, it was $50 for eight, two-hour language sessions, including free parking, free food (if you got there early enough), and free teaching materials. The instructors are great (and there are many different levels offered, so you will definitely be placed in a challenging but not too-challenging section) and the homework isn't stressful (you're graded, but unless your university is somehow offering you credit, it really doesn't matter, does it?).

Is it working? I can't say for sure, but it certainly is a valiant effort and I really wouldn't be surprised if 4th or 5th generation Korean-Americans in the future are able to fluently speak Korean with their friends, family, and random people like me who are trying to learn Korean, too.

As for Italian, I'm still looking for the ICCWW (Italian Cultural Center, Walla Walla). Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment