01 July, 2014

How to Take a Bucket Bath

Now, I know this is probably different for everyone and there is no right or wrong way of doing it, but I thought I'd write a little bit about what I've been taught about bucket baths because maybe it is useful or interesting and it isn't something that's talked about much! As pointed out to me once by a friend, the way one makes their bed is something we sort of assume we know but never actually discuss or (rarely) see. I think showering and bathing techniques are also similarly mysterious.
Also, where I am staying at the moment there is running water in the bathroom, so I only use a bucket of water for my bath if I want to indulge in using hot water (e.g. on cold mornings or when I don't feel very well).
Sponge and mini-bucket of local soap with water added to it
So here goes: how to take a bucket bath, as taught to me by one of my homestay family members.
First, buy a small bucket, about a quart in size. Then get some local soap (especially the Volta Region style soap, which I don't have a photo of, but comes in crumbly little balls) and crumble it into the bucket. Add water and let it sit over night. The next morning it will be goopy and a bit like custard.
Each morning after you've finished the morning chores, and each evening before bed, fill your larger bath bucket with water (add some hot water if you need it to be warm), then take this with your towel, mini bucket of soap, and 'sponge' (colorful netting/webbing) to the bath area or bathroom. In some areas, the bath area has a wooden pole over the entrance and you can hang your towel or the 2 yards of cloth your body is wrapped in over this when you enter to create a removable door/towel rack. Where I am right now it is a room in a house.
When bathing, first rinse your body, using a cup to get the water out of the bucket, then take your sponge and dab it into the bucket of now nicely goopy soap. Add a bit of water and scrub it into a lather then use this to scrub your body. Rinse off all the soap, and if you need to, wash your hair (see previous posts about this, if your hair is of the non-African variety).
If you are lucky enough to have a lime tree (citrus, not tilia spp.) in your compound, then you can squeeze a bit of lime juice into your bath water before bathing to make you extra clean-smelling! And when you've finished your bath you can take the lime rind halves and rub these in your armpits for all-day freshness.
There you go. One take on how to take a bucket bath!

No comments:

Post a Comment