28 August, 2009

Preparing to Leave

I'm home in Walla Walla, WA after traveling through five states in one day (CA, ID, NV, OR, WA). Mom and I camped in Yosemite for two nights with my brother and sister-in-law (and their dog). To my joy, I discovered that Yosemite's "reconstructed indian village" has placards describing how various plants, tools, and buildings were used by the Native Americans living in Yosemite in English and in Southern Miwok! So cool!

After that we went to Sacramento to stay with my aunt and uncle. We visited the California State Indian Museum and saw beautiful baskets with bird feathers woven into them. We also met a Navajo lady whose brothers were code talkers.

I'm preparing to leave for Ghana this coming Sunday. I get there on Monday and will be gone all semester. I may not have much access to the Internet, but I'll post when I can.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry we missed seeing you before you left. I hope you are there, safe and sound. Be careful, stay healthy and learn lots! I will check back here frequently (and on Facebook) and see any news you have. Love, Aunt Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. She almost missed her plane. We left Walla Walla with at least 2 hours leeway and were doing fine -- hoping to have dinner together before the plane left. Just past Cle Elum on I-90 we came to a screeching halt (well not really - Lyd was driving) and then sat for 2 hours not moving. We went on the internet (wonderful smart phones) and found out that a motorhome had somehow caught on fire and supposedly caused a brush fire. West bound I-90 closed indefinitely. After 2 hours of sitting in the heat with no side roads, facilities etc, we started to slowly move. stop and go, 2-4 mpg for another 90 minutes. When we passed the burned skeleton of a motorhome there was no evidence of emergency vehicles or brush fire. We arrived at the airport with 80 minutes before the flight left. Fortunately there were no lines at the ticket counter or security. she arrived at the gate before boarding started!
    I listened to BBC today on the way home and did not hear about any British Airway plane mishaps so assumed she arrived safely -- I am sure exhausted.
    Prayers are with you Lydia. Love mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Lydia, we will keep you in our prayers! Be safe! Kal & Debbie Kirkle

    ReplyDelete