01 September, 2009

In Ghana!

Today I drank coconut juice from a freshly hacked coconut, learned a bunch of Twi ("I like your outfit!" and "cat", for example), and ate beans with cassava flour.

On the flight over, when my vegetarian meal came, the Ghanaian man sitting next to me said, "Oh, you will have trouble in Ghana with that." But so far, aside from everyone telling me it's going to be hard, it's been pretty easy to get a decent meal that has no meat. Or fish. Sometimes you have to be specific.

The dirt is very red, and now my sandals are, too. I love the humidity, but I do miss how quickly things dried in Walla Walla and LA. Oh well.

The internet is slow, but only one cedi an hour (a cedi is less than a dollar). 13 minutes of my half hour were taken up with the computer freezing and then having to be restarted and them finally moving me to a new one, so I will keep this short.

I'm alive and well!

3 comments:

  1. Don't forget to occasionally add some pictures for more interst. Glad all is going well
    Love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAAAAAAA I wanna SEE your outfit! and i'm super jealous about every single thing you've written. minus the humidity, but we got that today. i've been running around campus all day in it!

    Everyone said 'hi' or 'i miss that girl' to you from the Ling picnic we had last weekend. But i bet i miss you more.

    --joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been following your educational successes and amazing experiences through your mom. Ghana! How cool!
    Clare Thompson

    ReplyDelete