04 November, 2009

I finally got to try Fufu!

I like it. But I haven't found a soup that I like it with yet. Yesterday I bought some fufu and asked for soup with no meat and no fish and was assured that the soup had no meat and no fish, but of course when I opened the take-away bag of it I discovered that it was fish soup. With an unidentified chunk of meat/fish floating around. Luckily, I discovered some delicious scone/muffins at the Internet cafe and I survived.

We are back in Accra for about a week. A bunch of us (10?) are staying at an apartment building right by campus rather than with our homestay families because it is so much easier to walk 15 minutes to school than to walk fifteen minutes to a Tro-Tro stop and ride for an hour (or longer) to another Tro-Tro stop then walk another 5 minutes to campus... then do it again to go home. I miss staying with my family here, though. I liked them a lot and Auntie Abigail is a great cook!

We are here in Accra (at the University of Ghana, Legon) to finish planning out our Independent Study Projects (ISPs), which we will begin in a few days. We wil spend a little over a month working on them anywhere in the country. We also have a big paper (10-15 pages) due in a couple of days, which I don't think anybody has really started. Hopefully the power works tonight. Handwriting 10-15 pages by candlelight? Not so fun.

Laura covered the last week or so pretty thoroughly, I think, so I will refer all of you to her blog for details on our pottery/bead making adventures with the Ewe and Krobo.

She left out what we did for class two days ago, though! We spent the whole afternoon relaxing on the beach near Aflao, right by the border with Togo (we were in the SE corner of Ghana). Coconuts cost 20 pesewas each, so I bought two (for roughly a US quarter). I wish I had a picture of us all just chilling there by the ocean with perfect weather, coconuts, and a nice clean beach covered in pretty shells and little (harmless) crabs that run ridiculously fast and blend right in with the sand. It was beautiful.

I'm exhausted after moving all my stuff to the apartment (we're on the fourth floor). It is nice (very typical Ghanaian phrase) - there are four beds (bunked up) in each room. We have running water (and theoretically electricity, but the power was out yesterday and all last night), a balcony, a small bathroom with a shower, and a little "kitchen" area which is just a counter, a sink, and some under-the-counter cupboards.

I'm off to go find lunch now. There used to be a delicious vegetarian stand on campus here at Legon, but apparently it was taking too much business away from the "night market" (an area with a bunch of food stalls and vendors) without being officially a part of the "night market" so they were driven off. So the rumor goes. It's very sad to those of us who spent the last two months dreaming of eating tofu sandwiches and actually-vegetarian soups.

But, that is Ghana. If we're learning one thing here it's to have no expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment