11 June, 2011

Newcastle, it is

It is rainy and beautiful. The trees are dancing. I found two seeds in my persimmon this morning (I've never found a persimmon with seeds in it before), so as soon as I figure out where a persimmon tree might like to grow I'm going to go plant them in the soggy-soaky soil. (Why not?)

I have to apologize - I've been speaking of my experiences in Australia, but honestly I can only really speak of my experience of Newcastle. The rest of (vast) Australia remains an adventure-yet-to-be-had to me.
photo from around my neighbourhood suburb
pretty sky in my suburb

However! Tomorrow morning (4am - ugh) I head to Melbourne for the week. I hear it's cold, but pretty happenin'. I'm hoping that the cold there is more like the cold I'm used to, i.e. cold which stays outside and does not enter dwellings. I've decided to stop complaining about the cold in Newcastle, so let me just say this: the buildings here were not built for it!

Since my last post, I've had a birthday (which was lovely), celebrated Easter Monday (observed on Tuesday, naturally), given a presentation at the research higher degree symposium as part of my confirmation requirements (a fun day of interesting presentations from across the school), and been accepted into the MA in Language Documentation and Description at the University of London, School of Oriental and African Studies (I'll be temporarily suspending my PhD here come September and heading to London). There may have been some salsa dancing and trivia nights thrown in there for good measure as well.

Tomorrow (Monday) is another public holiday: the Queen's Birthday. (The Queen's actual birthday is 21 April, so don't be confused.) I am on the lookout for more Americans so we can have a proper 4th of July celebration.

Okay, I have a lot more to do before I leave tomorrow, but there may be a few more short posts (like the one below this) in the works...

Peace!

p.s. I have discovered that my pronunciation of 'herb' usually elicits the following response:
(fits of laughter)
"She drops the haych!" 
Which then leads to several attempted imitations:
"Urb. Urb."
And more laughter. 

Ah well, I do enjoy having an urb garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment